[XML-SIG] A bit off topic: XML advice needed...

Betty Harvey betty@eccnet.eccnet.com
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:34:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi Stuart:

	Your question touches on a very important question in
XML about when you use element and when to you attributes.
As you are experiencing, it is not always a 'cut and dry'
decision.

	My rule of thumb which usually works out to be 90%
reliable is if the information is going to be displayed use
an element.  However, there are nuances and exceptions which
you have found.

	I can't solve the question you have below but maybe
I can give you some practical advice and have you answer
some questions about the application:

1.  Will people be creating the start-date and end-date?

    If the answer is yes, you may want to think about
    creating the elements <start-date> and <end-date>.
    You can control the input from the user better by
    creating explicit elements.

    An exception to the above though is if you are going
    to be supplying a static form-based application for
    the end-user to complete.  If this is the case, the
    form can supply the input rules and the application
    can perform the mark-up.

2.  Will the application create the dates?

    If dates are going to be created by the application
    without 'the person in-the-loop', I would tend to
    make the 'start' and 'end' as attributes of the
    element.  The application itself can ensure that
    the required information is available to provide
    proper tagging.

When you are creating your DTD, every situation tends to be
a little different and it requires some analysis of the
processes that will be involved in the final application.

Hope this helps.

Betty

Betty Harvey                           | Phone: 301-540-8251 FAX: 4268
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc.   |
13017 Wisteria Drive, P.O. Box 333     |
Germantown, Md.  20874                 |
harvey@eccnet.eccnet.com               | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp