[XML-SIG] SQL -> XML ?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:22:41 -0700

> It would be very useful for me to create a document as a DOM tree, based on
> data that I can easily access with SQL statements. I'm wondering whether
> there are well-known design tips for converting table oriented data
> structures into tree structures, that would come in handy for this sort of
> task, in terms of efficiency and reusability?

There has been a good deal of discussion in the XML-DEV list about such
matters, and I haven't read any useful solutions to the basic impedance
mis-match between tabular and tree-based structure.  Maybe as the DB
manufacturers rush to swallow XML whole, they'll come up with something
clever, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't think there is much for it but the brute-force method.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants