[XML-SIG] Future plans

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:20:45 +0100 (CET)

Andrew M. Kuchling writes:
 > I'd really like to discuss this issue more, because I've started
 > implementing DOM2 for PyDOM, but I'd hate to expend unneeded effort on
 > such a significant bit of work.  Some pros and cons:
I did not yet use 4DOM.
But I decided to go for it the next time I will seriously
work with XML/XSL.

I have effectively discontinued work
on my PyXPath implementation on top of PyDOM, because only
very serious reasons justify the duplication of effort.

As for the explicite memory management necessary for 4DOM:
  It is very easy to introduce cycles in Python's data structures.
  I would expect that many non-trivial Python programs
  contain such cycles and leak memory -- without dramatic
  effect. I can live with explicite memory management for DOM trees,
  even though they tend to be rather large structures.
  For short running programs, this will not be a problem.
  When it becomes a problem, I will find the most pressing
  leaks.

- Dieter