[XML-SIG] expat (was: Developer's Day)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:55:40 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > > IIRC, when compiled to be of minimal size, expat is only about 50K.
> >
> > Euh... separate issue, right? We aren't bundling Expat into Python, just
> > pyexpat...
>
> I'm suggesting we should bundle expat, as Apache, Mozilla, Perl etc. do.
> I see no good reason not to.

It is under the MPL. Dunno if that is an issue, but there ya go.

Speaking from my Linux-centric world, I think Expat is becoming common
enough that I'd rather avoid bundling it. Also, Guido just recently
mentioned a reluctance to bundle something like zlib (partly due to
possible version problems between Python's version and the installed
version); I would guess that he would have the same reluctance towards
Expat as he has towards zlib.

Cheers,
-g

--