[XML-SIG] expat (was: Developer's Day)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:34:37 -0600

Greg Stein wrote:

> I mentioned this somewhere recently: we should absolutely include pyexpat
> into 1.6, regardless of what other XML bits we might include. I do not
> think we include Expat itself, tho(!).

I think we should.

IIRC, when compiled to be of minimal size, expat is only about 50K.
Unfortunately I can't find the email where James Clark original
described this feature so I can't recall the performance hit in doing
so. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't affect ASCII parsing speed at
all. This machine doesn't have a compiler on it right now so I can't
benchmark. :( If anyone wants to try it out, you can read about the
minimization option here:

http://www.jclark.com/xml/expatfaq.html

Anyhow, that option would make expat much smaller than (for example)
bsddb.pyd.

Three things see no end: A loop with exit code done wrong
A semaphore untested, and the change that comes along
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html