[XML-SIG] Developer's Day

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 05:31:54 -0800

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> one could say the same (or even more so) for the GUI,
> but that hasn't exactly helped...

GUI is a special case because there are no standards there.

> but some batteries *are* include: "import xmllib" works
> just fine in 1.5.2.

xmllib is not, as far as I know, a legal XML processor and it certainly
does not support "modern" advances like tree processing, validation,
defaulted attributes, XML namespaces or SAX. So it isn't legal and it
isn't modern.

If people compare that to Perl or Java's Project X, to Microsoft's XML
COM objects it will be, er, embarrassing. Sjoerd did a great job for the
day, but it is way outdated now. By the time Python 2.0 comes out,
xmllib will be quite primitive compared to what everyone else is doing.
Three things never trust in: That's the vendor's final bill
The promises your boss makes, and the customer's good will
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html