[XML-SIG] problem processing XML files

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:55:26 +0200

Berthold Hoellmann wrote:

> but not the XML structure as expected. Does the parser silently ignore
> syntax errors? Running

Don't know (but I'd be interested in the answer myself!), but I can
tell you what the error in ScientificPython.xml is: there's no
filename (or "system identifier") for the DTD.

This is one of my favourite quarrels with XML, because I find it
highly inconvenient to be forced to put machine-dependent data
into my documents. Especially since the DocBook DTD is not at the
same location on the two machines that I use regularly.

Fortunately nsgmls is more tolerant; it lets me specify the filename
in a catalog entry and continues parsing after reporting the error.
I wish other parsers would do the same, at least optionally.