[XML-SIG] Py-ish PySax Suggestion #2

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:08:20 -0500

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> I don't have a big problem with this, but I'll bet it gives fits to those
> about these parts who are very concerned with every last bit of run-time speed.

For better or worse I think those people have already abandoned SAX.
Actually, the proposal doesn't slow anything down: if you need the speed
of a single startElement method, you just override it and go. Existing SAX
clients should be exactly as fast as they are today.

> And indeed, since this is so easily achieved under the current PySAX, is there
> really a need to enforce the meta-programming?

It isn't so much enforcing it as making it accessible and "standard." It
can help usability to make common idioms a part of the library or even
language.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Microsoft spokesman Ian Hatton admits that the Linux system would have
performed better had it been tuned."
"Future press releases on the issue will clearly state that the research