[XML-SIG] Python DOM Unification -- level

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:03:13 -0500

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
> > * Builder level:
> >
> >if sys.argv[1]=="4thought":
> >    from 4thought.dom import sax_builder()
> >else:
> >   from xml.dom import sax_builder()
>
>         I'd lean toward module-level, as long as it's understood that
> an implementation can add extra stuff to its module, but builder-level
> would also be acceptable.  Note that there isn't that much top-level
> stuff required for a DOM module: exception codes, DOMException, the
> Node class and its subclasses, NodeList and NamedNodeMap, and
> a createDocument() function.

Shouldn't the exception objects and class constants be shared between DOM
implementations?

Why do Node, NodeList and NamedNodeMap have to be top-level. Does it make
sense for clients to construct them?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Company spokeswoman Lana Simon stressed that Interactive
Yoda is not a Furby. Well, not exactly.

"This is an interactive toy that utilizes Furby technology,"
Simon said. "It will react to its surroundings and will talk."
  - http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/19222.html