[XML-SIG] Python DOM Unification -- level

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:27:53 -0500

Following are some meta-questions on the proposed Python DOM unification.

First, what is the appropriate level of unification?

 * Module level:

if sys.argv[1]=="fast":
    from xml import minidom
    dom = minidom
else if sys.argv[1]=="complete":
    from xml import dom
else if sys.argv[1]=="distributed":
    from 4thought import dom

 * Builder level:

if sys.argv[1]=="4thought":
    from 4thought.dom import sax_builder()
else:
   from xml.dom import sax_builder()

xml.dom.FromXML( sax_builder() )

 * Document level:

if sys.argv[1]=="4thought":
    4thought.dom.Gimme.a.document()
else:
    xml.dom.I.need.a.document()

document.doStuff()

My preference is for "Builder level", I think. Portable helper functions
could go into a universal xml.dom package instead of into each package.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Company spokeswoman Lana Simon stressed that Interactive
Yoda is not a Furby. Well, not exactly.

"This is an interactive toy that utilizes Furby technology,"
Simon said. "It will react to its surroundings and will talk."
  - http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/19222.html