[XML-SIG] qp API

Greg Stein Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

All right.... it seems apparent that something like the qp-api that I
proposed (in response to Fredrik) isn't going to really satisfy a number
of people for a "lightweight" API. It seems that a tendency exists to push
towards the DOM facilities.

What is the approach from here? Can we really examine the qp-api interface
with the intent of a lightweight system?

Actually: that is a good point.... what is "lightweight" ? I define that
as something that is fast, has a small set of objects, and has a small
interface (few objects/methods).

A question was asked: do we need Yet Another Interface? I believe that we
do. IMO, the qp interface is very well tuned towards apps being able to
interpret what is really going on when an XML doc arrives (yes, within
certain constraints). IMO, the DOM is great for translations of input XML
to output XML. But someting like qp is handy for grabbing input and
dealing with it (I was never able to really do that well with the DOM).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/