[XML-SIG] DOM API

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 23:51:43 -0700

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:
> > * Is it reasonable to unify a subset of their interfaces?
>
> This does make sense.  The first question would be philisohical: should such a
> unified interface stick closely to the W3C's IDL, or should it be more
> faithful to Python (i.e. returning PyLists instead of NodeList objects).  This
> is the main difference between the two Python DOM implementation.  We could
> build an adapter accordingly (most of the work is already don with
> DOM.Ext.NodeList2PyList, etc), but I'd like to hear people's opinions first.

Speaking of DOM implementations, I had posted a couple weeks ago about
including my qp_xml.py module in the XML distribution. It effectively
presents another DOM for Python users to consume XML input (it does NOT
handle output, tho).

Didn't hear back on that, though... does anybody have any feelings one
way or another about including the module? I think it is quite nice for
lightweight XML parsing. I haven't ever found a need for the W3C DOM
(since I simply need a Python representation of the input, and all
output is via "print"), so I'm presuming others will find this useful.

Thoughts?

thx
-g

--