[XML-SIG] Re: XML-SIG digest, Vol 1 #90 - 7 msgs

Lisa Rein lisarein@finetuning.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 16:04:55 -0700

Walter R. Underwood said:

> The search engine only requires that the XML be well-formed, since it
> doesn't really need to know about the DTD, just the text that remains
> after parsing. Well, we do pay attention to one tag -- the first <title>
> or <TITLE> tag is considered to be the title of the document for
> purposes of displaying search hits.

Hello Walter:

I am very curious how exactly XML is being utilized in the search engine
if the only tag  being taken into account is the (first) TITLE tag (just
like a search engine would use during a "bag of words" approach) and not
using a DTD -- making any semantic associations impossible.

If you're not going to deal with the text until after it's parsed, why
are you using XML?  Are you doing some kind of indexing or another
variation I haven't of?  Do tell ;-)

Thanks,

lisa rein

http://www.finetuning.com/editor.html