[XML-SIG] Useless fun thing for XML - comments or helpers?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:44:56 +0100

><!-- DTD for XBEL - XML Bookmark Exchange Language -->
>
><!ELEMENT XBEL     (INFO, NODE+)>
><!ELEMENT NODE     (NAME, BOOKMARK+)>
>
><!ELEMENT BOOKMARK (NAME, URL)>
>
><!ELEMENT INFO     (OWNER, MACHINE, VERSION, DATE?)>
>
><!ELEMENT OWNER    (#PCDATA)>
><!ELEMENT MACHINE  (#PCDATA)>
><!ELEMENT VERSION  (#PCDATA)>
><!ELEMENT DATE     (#PCDATA)>
>
><!ELEMENT NAME     (#PCDATA)>
><!ELEMENT URL      (#PCDATA)>

Note that nodes can contain other nodes (bookmarks and nodes are
mixed in the order they are found), and the top node doesn't have
a name element.  Let's see...  Is the following valid syntax?

    <!ELEMENT NODE     (NAME?, (BOOKMARK|NODE)+)>

I'm not that happy about the name "node" either...  anyone have a
better idea?

And yes, MSIE also uses a timestamp for each bookmark:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.secretlabs.com/
Modified=107CD6B43F8ABD019D

(haven't figured out how to decipher that one yet)

Netscape uses at least three: ADD_DATE, LAST_VISIT, and
LAST_MODIFIED (standard time_t's).

How about:

<!ELEMENT BOOKMARK (NAME, URL, ADDED?, VISITED?, MODIFIED?)>

(where dates are stored according to http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime
or RFC1766 or something -- is there a "defacto standard" for dates in XML?)

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com
http://www.pythonware.com