[XML-SIG] pyexpat on Windows?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:43:22 -0400 (EDT)

Jeff.Johnson@stn.siemens.com writes:
>I'm still a python newbie and have a never compiled a pyd and my C compiler
>has dust on it.  I see that there is a file xml\windows\pyexpat.dll in the
>XML package.  Is it sufficient to rename this to pyexpat.pyd and move it
>somewhere?  If pyexpat isn't compiled for Windows yet, what is pyexpat.dll?
>If it is, why isn't it set up to work in the XML package?  What will it
>take to set it up?  Does anyone know which parser is faster/better?

	Sean McGrath contributed the Windows-compiled versions of
sgmlop.c and pyexpat.c.  I can't test them, and don't know how to set
them up on Windows; help with this would be *greatly* appreciated.
Since Windows users may not have make or other compilation tools
installed, perhaps the best solution would be to have a .ZIP file
containing the .py files, pre-compiled .pyd files, etc. that could
simply be unpacked in the right directory to install it.

	Fred Drake has suggested moving sgmlop.so and pyexpat.so on
Unix platforms into xml.parser, since Python can handle C extensions
inside a package.  I assume this would also work on Windows and Mac
platforms; am I correct?  If so, I'll make this change to the CVS tree
tonight.

	Jack Jansen has also produced a new version of pyexpat, which
fixes the exception-swallowing bug and some other things; I'll check
that in tonight, too.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Now. Take this street to New Mexico.