[XML-SIG] DOM: Some open issues

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:40:25 -0400

I'm slowly converging toward having everything implemented (not
necessarily having everything bug-free or spec-compliant, mind you).
There are some things that the SIG should discuss.

      * First is the question of DTD representation and creation in
the DOM.  What should the interface be for creating Notation, Entity,
and DocumentType objects: should there be extended createNotation(),
... methods on the Document object?

    The DOM tree needs to know about the default value of attributes,
so that it can restore the default value when you delete the Attr
node.  Any suggestions for an interface?  Could it be as simple as a
dictionary on the DocumentType object, where the keys are
(elementName, attributeName) tuples and the dict value is the default
value?

      * There are memory leaks in some of the parser drivers. I've
fixed the PyExpat driver, but the xmlproc driver defeated me; the
leaks might be in xmlproc itself.  This will have to be checked...

      * Minor thing: the exceptions are all named things like
IndexSizeException, DOMStringSizeException, HierarchyRequestException,
etc.  Should I add aliases which drop the 'Exception' from the names?

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
As I was going up the stair / I met a man who wasn't there. / He wasn't there