[XML-SIG] [Q] Namespace

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
22 Nov 1998 00:02:42 +0100

* Tamito Kajiyama

| What I want to do is some experiments about RDF.  In an RDF
| instance, RDF schemas are specified using namespace.  So, I'm
| writing an RDF parser that, for each namespace declaration,
| retrieves the RDF file specified by the URI, parses it, and
| constructs an internal representation of the RDF schema for further
| validation.

Hmmm. Do you mean that you're writing your own XML parser, or are you
building on top of SAX, DOM or some parser API?

| Is this good practice?

It sounds good to me, at least.

| It seems that my parser knows something about namespace...

Nothing wrong with that, you just have to keep the different layers of
the different specs separate in your mind (and parser :).

| What will happen to XML 1.0 when the namespace specification becomes
| a W3C recommendation?

Good question. I don't really know. A reasonable guess would be that
the SGML DTD syntax is ditched in favour of an XML-based syntax that
is namespace-aware. Or that both are retained. Of course, this means
that XML will have two different schema languages, only one of them
SGML-compatible. But, like I say, this is just a guess.

--Lars M.