[XML-SIG] Support for Validating Parsers

David Niergarth jdnier@execpc.com
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:00:04 -0600 (CST)

On 17 Nov 1998, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I have one that can read ESIS from files, SP and SP -wxml, but it
> can't handle error messages properly on Win32. I think the problem is
> caused by SP doing something strange to emulate stderr on Win32 where
> this doesn't exist at all.

Are you "handling" the errors or ignoring the errors? If you have parsing
errors (as opposed to warnings) seems like you'd usually need/want to
fix them first, then make esis again.

>  - redirect error msgs to a temporary file with the -f option, ignore
>    the file and delete it afterwards
>  - redirect error msgs to a temporary file with the -f option and check
>    it between events for new errors

I don't know a way to suppress errors (like -s). You can limit the
maximum number of errors reported with -E. Unfortunately, -E0 means "no
limit", however, -E1 at least keeps the error output to a minimum.

You can play with redirection, in WinNT, e.g.,

     nsgmls file 2>&0 > esis_file

2 is error and I think 0 is stdin, which makes this twisted, but the error
"stream" effectively disappears. This only works on NT (cmd.exe); in 95/98
you'll end up with a file called &0! If there were only a /dev/null....

--David Niergarth