[XML-SIG] ParserFilter proposal

Geir Ove Gronmo grove@infotek.no
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:27:56 +0100

At 00:30 18.11.98 +0100, you wrote:
>OK, I've now hacked together a proposal for a general SAX ParserFilter
>API, with implementations of two filters: 'keep character data
>together' and namespaces. (The latter is just a rough sketch riddled
>with 'FIXME' comments.) The whole thing is just a proposal, and
>consists of readable source with two simple demos with sample
>documents.

>Comments, anyone? Is this the way to do the SAX side of this?

It this how its done in Java by John Cowan? I've not been able to check
that out yet, but I will soon.

>And, Geir Ove, what do you think? Could xmlarch be fitted into this as
>a ParserFilter? (Didn't have time to look at it.)

xmlarch could definately be fitted into a ParserFilter.

I don't see any problems with this at all. Since xmlarch is written as a
DocumentHandler, only minor modifications would probably have to be done.

I originally wrote xmlarch as a wrapper around a Parser object, but soon
realized that that was overkill. Only XML events from a DocumentHandler is
needed to write an architectural forms processor.

The next release of xmlarch is probably going to be independent of SAX.
I've been thinking of removing the direct connection to SAX, and instead
make it a more general module. Wrappers/plugins could then be written for
SAX (both DocumentHandler and ParserFilter), DOM and other kinds of input.

Geir O.