[XML-SIG] IPC7 results

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:18:26 +0100

> I'm not so sure that we need to worry about namespaces. From what I
> hear enthusiasm about them in the W3C is waning, nor does there seem
> to be all that much enthusiasm among implementors.

Oh? I know that _I_ am pretty enthusiastic about them, and envision using them
for various things...

> The trouble is that it will be very hard (if at all possible) to do
> this without doing damage to backwards compatibility.

This, I think, may not be so difficult if we specify a couple of things in
advance. For instance (and this is just an example) I can envision that we
specify that in DOM you should always check nodes for being of a type you
understand before processing them. Then we could add namespaces to a later
release of DOM by adding an API to tell which namespaces your app understands
and hiding elements and attributes of other namespaces as different nodetypes.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm