[XML-SIG] Re: XML Filesystem

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 19 May 1998 11:09:57 +0200

I'm not sure I see the advantage of having XML-support in the kernel. When I
was still in OS design the thing we always did was move everything out of the
kernel unless it was absolutely vital that it was in. This was mainly a
question of moving things from the microkernel to user-level OS services, but
the same argument holds to a lesser extent for the choice of putting
functionality in OS services or application libraries. When something is in
the OS it becomes more difficult to maintain, and moreover applications can't
decide to use a newer version, etc.

I'd say the only reason to put something in the kernel is if this gives you
functionality not available otherwise. An example would be access control on a
more fine-grained level than a file ("you're allowed to read all the <p>
sections in this document, but we won't give the the <h1>s") or concurrency
control (allowing multiple applications to modify different parts of the same
document at the same time). I'm not sure, however, that any of these would be
applicable to the area of XML...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm