[XML-SIG] Re: saxlib 1.0beta

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 08 May 1998 14:04:15 +0200

> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> >
> >         Let me get your proposal clear; you're suggesting that we drop
> > having a driver for using xmllib, and just use xmlproc or Expat,
> > right?
>
> No. I guess I'm suggesting we just drop xmllib.

I think this is a bad idea: xmllib is the only 100% python solution. Even the
the sax/dom stuff isn't part of the standard distribution any user wanting to
experiment with xml will just have to grab the sax/dom modules over the net
and off they go. This is a lot simpler than if they first have to compile
extension modules, etc.

Of course, this all changes if any of the XML parsers gets incorporated in the
Python core, but even then I think keeping xmllib as a fallback method is a
good idea.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm