[XML-SIG] Re: Yet another stupid XML question

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@step.de
Fri, 08 May 1998 12:52:42 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> So to rephrase my question: based on the first few bytes, you
> should be able to tell if the file contains 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit
> characters?

Yes.

> Nope. They mentioned 'elements'.  Looks like they were wrong (the
> amount of hype surrounding XML is starting to eclipse that of Java;

Good. Let's just hope it's not all wrong. :)

It's beginning to look as though XML is going to lead a lot of people
into SGML. I see companies that should have picked up SGML years ago
now beginning to understand the point of XML. Many of them will of
course stay with XML, but many are also better served by SGML.

> I've even seen people talking about writing programs in XML ;-)

There are a couple of applications that generate stub code from
XML files already. IMHO that's sensible although full programming
would of course be ...uhmm... somewhat awkward.

--Lars M.