[XML-SIG] Yet another stupid XML question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 8 May 1998 11:03:23 +0200

Paul wrote:
>Unicode should definately be higher priority than DOM, IMO. I would go so
>far as to say that Unicode should *determine* the date of the next release
>of Python (though I don't care if it is called Python 1.5.2 or Python
>1.6). Maybe I'm naive about what it means and takes to release a new
>version, but what's the harm in perfecting the XML and Unicode stuff and
>releasing it as 1.6 in say, three months? It could even be a minor
>publicity event. If we were the first with a C implementation, we might
>have the fastest DOM implementation at the time of release.

Which reminds me of one thing: when I first read the XML specification,
I came under the impression that you can determine whether a document
uses 8/16/32-bit characters by looking at the first bytes.  But I've recently
seen a few references that seem to claim that you can also change character
sets for each new element.  Could anyone sort this out for me?

Confused, as usual /F