[XML-SIG] Re: saxlib 1.0beta

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 07 May 1998 09:00:11 -0400

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> How likely is it that other people than me will work on xmlproc? And how
> likely is it that having xmllib around will mean that less resources go
> into improving xmlproc? (These questions are not meant rhetorically.)

If I need a new feature I am more likely to tweak code that is 95% "done"
than code that is 30% done. But more important, I much less often have to
tweak code that is almost done.

> > I would much rather add an sgmllib-like driver for xmlproc
>
> SAX, rather, to get access to PyExpat as well.

So you mean an sgmllib-like driver for SAX? I guess that would be okay as
long as it was a short-term hack. Over the long term, sgmllib is slow
enough. I wouldn't want to add a major layer of indirection to (e.g.)
grail.

> Here we differ: to me, a major part of the point of using Python is that
> I can easily do stuff that's impossible/much less convenient in ordinary
> languages (Java/C++ etc). I like the *mllib interfaces precisely because
> they are divergent.

Sure, they are divergent, but are they easier than SAX? They don't seem so
to me. They sure will not be to somone coming from a SAX background.

Can we afford to feed that army,
 while so many children are naked and hungry?
Can we afford to remain passive,
 while that soldier-army is growing so massive?
  - "Gabby" Barbadian Calpysonian in "Boots"