[XML-SIG] New working drafts: XML Namespaces, XLink, XPointer

Markus Fleck fleck@informatik.uni-bonn.de
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:01:28 +0200

Hi!

FYI:

XML Namespaces are now a "working draft", finally
giving them some official status.

There are also two other new working drafts:

  "XML Linking Language (XLink)"
  "XML Pointer Language (XPointer)"

While XLink is supposed to be work like a generalized
form of HTML's hypertext links, XPointer is used to
refer to internal structures of HTML documents on
different levels of detail (entity, characters, ...).

I'm not sure if I really understand the utility of
these two working drafts. It would be nice if someone
with deeper insight could give a short summary of
what they are for and how they relate to other
standardization efforts such as DOM, HyTime etc.

More info at W3C's XML site, <http://www.w3.org/XML/>.

Yours,
Markus.