[XML-SIG] XML package organization

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:48:24 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>What I mean is: should all the XML tools be gathered into a single
>package and distributed together? Who should maintain it? What do we
>do when only one of the pieces is updated? Who decides what's a part
>of the package and what isn't? Should it be a part of the standard
>Python distribution? And so on.

	IMHO, the authors of various components such as the XMLTok
interface, or SAX, or DOM, will write the code and make it available.
Someone else will maintain a complete distribution containing all the
components; as SIG owner I'm willing to do that, though I'd also
willing to have someone else volunteer to do that.  When a component
gets updated, the author will send a note to this mailing list, or to
the maintainer of the complete distribution, who'll update the master
package.

	I don't know if we'll lobby to make it a part of the standard
distribution; that depends on the size of the code, and on whether
Guido is interested.  Perhaps a usable Python-only subset can be
produced for the standard distribution, with optimizations such as the
C XMLTok interface available in the master package for those who need
them.

>Did I miss something obvious here, since nobody else seems to wonder
>about this?

	No; no one's brought it up before.

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
The shortest unit of time in the multiverse is the New York Second, defined as
the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab behind
you honking.
	-- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_