[XML-SIG] Re: Alpha release of XED: A smart XML instance editor

Henry S. Thompson ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:50:57 GMT

At the moment XED is based on the toolkit, which does NOT have as free
a license as Python's.  In due course what I plan to do is release XED
with the sources, but with a no-commercial-exploitation license.
This would give Python programs access to our PyXML interface.

It may well be that at some point we shift from basing it on the
toolkit to basing it on the underlying tokeniser, RXP, which probably
WILL be freely available without restriction, but that isn't clear
yet, and certainly there's no timetable for it.

RXP is currently not as fast as James's tokenizer.

ht