[XML-SIG] XML testing

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:06:30 -0400 (EDT)

Fred L. Drake writes:
>  Using cmp should be fine, but...

	Better to write Python code to do the comparison; that will
make it easier to run the test suite on Windows and Mac machines.

>... this introduces a problem.  Perhaps correct output from validating
>and non-validing parsers should be handled separately.  This is more
>disk space, but not for "normal" users.

	OK, but I certainly want to include at least one or two sample
files with the base system, just so people have some reassurance that
the compile worked.  It looks like the best course is to have a
testing script that walks over a directory tree (probably one arranged
like the XML test suite) and processes all the files, checking that
the output is what's expected.

	Another thing: a while back I proposed pulling the sgmlop and
pyexpat modules into the root of the distribution to simplify
compilation, even though that will require a bit more care when
upgrading to new versions of those modules.  Speak now or I'm going to
do that in the next test release.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Aye, Master Orpheus. Well, they do say that two heads are better than one.