[XML-SIG] Simple WDDX Serialization

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:06:04 -0800 (PST)

OK, I have not been following the serialization thread very closely.

I want to put together a simple WDDX serializer, and I want to throw out
my idea to see if anyone can see any major problems.

Basically, serialization is easy for most objects.

Tuples, Arrays -> WDDX Arrays
Objects -> Structs (obviously, skipping methods)
Number -> Numbers
String -> String

For the dateTime WDDX type, I am thinking either 1) do pattern matching on
strings to determine if they are valid time/dates -- if so, make them
dateTime WDDX elements, or 2) if a string begins with a magic code, then
the rest of the string is interpreted as a dateTime element. We could also
have a flag in the serializer which turns on or off serialization into
dateTime globally for the serialization of a particular object.

I'm thinking that the serializer would only serialize a whole object at a
time (ie it would not allow for "building" WDDX packets programmatically)

Thoughts? Bumps in the road?

	-Gabe

http://www.aimnet.com/~gwachob               http://www.findlaw.com
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of
acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps
both." -- James Madison
                       import std.disclaimer