[XML-SIG] Perl and character encodings

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
20 Dec 1998 15:29:45 +0100

* Paul Prescod [quoting an XML::Parser release announcement]

| > The major new feature is access to character set encodings other than
| > expat's built-in set (UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1, US-ASCII). This is done
| > through binary character encoding maps appearing in the pathlist
| > represented by @XML::Parser::Expat::Encoding_Path.

Just for the record: xmlproc has something similar in its charconv
module. This module is currently not used by the parser, but modifying
xmlproc to use it is a very simple job. I've not given these changes
priority, since the conversions that are not simple mappings that can
be handled by string.translate are way too slow (and these are of
course the most interesting ones, such as utf-8 -> iso-8559-1 and vice
versa).

Martin von Löwis' module looks like it has some stuff I can use, so
this may appear soon if anyone wants it enough to ask for it (or if I
one day feel like making it).

If anyone else feels like having a go at this, then feel free.

--Lars M.