[XML-SIG] Marshalling

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:10:22 -0500 (EST)

Fred L. Drake writes:

>>>Paul Prescod writes:
>>> * why have a single class for marshalling and unmarshalling?
>>Andrew M. Kuchling writes:
>> 	My fuzzy argument for this was that I wanted the user to write
>> only a single subclass, not two of them.
>
>  Now's my turn to say "this is bogus".  This is bogus.  It's

	<wrestling-announcer>And Prescod slams Kuchling into the mat,
stunning him!  Now Drake has him in a headlock!  Oh, the
humanity...</wrestling-announcer> OK, I'll try to divide the two
functions into separate classes, and see how it goes.  Would it be all
right if I left both the m_* and um_* methods on the basic Marshalling
class, and just pushed out the SAX handler methods?  Or should there
be different Marshaller and Unmarshaller classes?

	Incidentally, Paul's idea of changing Python's pickle module
to XML is an interesting one for Python 2.0, but not really possible
before then.  It would be nice if xml.marshal could do what pickle
does, though.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your