[XML-SIG] Recent CVS changes

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:22:35 -0500

Some stuff that's been added to the XML CVS tree tonight:

	* Jeff Johnson's DomHelper class has been added to
xml.dom.utils, renamed to FileReader and with some minor changes to
allow passing in a file-like object.  I hope I didn't break anything
in those changes.

	* While waiting for a friend to show up for dinner, I got my
generic marshalling code finished and cleaned up, and also worked on
subclassing it to handle WDDX and XML-RPC, finishing neither of them
but getting pretty close.  XML-RPC is complete except for the
datetime.iso8601 type; I'm not sure how the caller should pass in
something to be marshalled as a date.  (This ties in to the absence of
a standard date-time type.)  WDDX is still missing dateTime,
recordSet, and some other things I can't remember.  Another hour should
suffice to finish it.  (That's what I like about Python: writing 90%
of the code takes 10% of the time, and the other 10% also takes 10% of
the time.)

	I'd be interested in seeing what people think of
xml.marshal.generic; does its structure seem easily amenable to
further subclassing to implement other data serializers?  Also, does
anyone know of other DTDs for data serialization?  I'd like to take a
crack at implementing them all, and seeing if they're all fairly clean
to implement.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Who was it that designed brown envelopes? I feel sure that he hated people