[XML-SIG] WDDX for Python

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:54:15 -0600

"Fred L. Drake" wrote:

>   You can use the copy_reg module to register pickling operations on
> built-in types that aren't already picklable.  To see how do this from
> C, look at Modules/parsermodule.c.

I'll have to implement a similar module for WDDX. I can't use copy_reg
because WDDX has a cross-language requirement. I can't encode the type
name in terms of modules and constructor functions: I must indirect
through a URI.

>   Support for a commonly used type (mxDataTime stuff?) might be the
> best way, and provide a type for people without that extension.

I can make a two-way registry which describes mappings both way. Then I'll
prime the registry with any date/time classes people give me URLs for.
Then users can choose their own date/time class. Whichever one appears as
input (mxDateTime, /F's, etc.) will get interpreted correctly as a date.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Sports utility vehicles are gated communities on wheels" - Anon