Tamito Kajiyama kajiyama@etl.go.jp
Wed, 9 Dec 98 23:49:21 JST

John Day <jday@csihq.com> writes:

| ..
| /home/jday/bin/lib/python1.5/
| /home/jday/bin/lib/python1.5/test
| /home/jday/bin/lib/python1.5/plat-linux2
| /home/jday/bin/lib/python1.5/lib-tk
| /home/jday/bin/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload
|
| Now I'm confused. None of the above packages are members
| of the "site-packages" directory. (xml is the only entry)
| I assumed "site-packages" would list _all_ installed pythonic
| packages.

Each element of sys.path is a directory Python searches modules.  See
Section 3.1 of the Python Library Manual for more information about
`sys.path' (http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-sys.html).

BTW, in your message <3.0.1.32.19981208191958.00692914@mail.csihq.com>,
you said you installed Python 1.5.1 with prefix=/home/jday.  So, the
directories listed in sys.path should be

  /home/jday/lib/python1.5/
  /home/jday/lib/python1.5/test
  /home/jday/lib/python1.5/plat-linux2

and so on.  Also, the directory /home/jday/lib/python1.5/site-packages
should be in sys.path if you don't run Python with the -S option.

I believe it is an installation problem of Python, not the XML package.
I can't understand the cause of your problem.  How about posting a
message to comp.lang.python?

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama@etl.go.jp>