[XML-SIG] unicode package?

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:47:29 -0500 (EST)

Sean Mc Grath writes:
 > I think it should just happen to come with the XML package.
 > As Unicode support grows, we will see Unicode popping out
 > of relational databases, bad HTML 4.0 and plain text
 > files. IOW, lots of other Python modules will want to
 > make use of it.

Sean,
  Since Python will eventually provide these facilities as part of the
base installation, the support provided by/with the XML pacakge should
only be at the "global" level if we're sure that the public interfaces
to these things won't be significantly different.  There's no reason
other packages can't use what we provide, but it needs to be clear
that what's being provided is a stop-gap solution and may behave
differently from what's eventually provided with Python.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191