[XML-SIG] unicode package?

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:15:17 -0500 (EST)

Andrew M. Kuchling writes:
 > 	At the moment, no.  The modules in unicode/ all get installed
 > in site-packages, so once installed, they're not associated with the
 > XML code at all.

  Ugh!

 > 	This is a good question; should the Unicode support be
 > included as a subpackage of xml, or should it be a standalone system
 > that just happens to come with the XML package?  I can see arguments
 > for both possibilities; what does everyone think?

  The xml package should not install *anything* outside the xml
package.  My understanding from the break-out session at IPC7 was that
the support included in the package is largely a stop-gap solution
until a more general solution for Python 1.6 has been implemented.  At
that point, the xml.unicode support can be either updated to use the
standard support or removed; which we pick should depend on how much
of the installed base won't be migrating to Python 1.6 quickly.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191