[XML-SIG] State of the world

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

Jack Jansen writes:
>I think this is all a bad idea. The "xml way" of doing things is to
>have a single object per file, and I see no reason why we shouldn't
>conform to that. After all, if you need multiple objects you can

That means that if you're sending XML data over a pipe, the reader
must reads the whole XML document first (perhaps using a prefix giving
its length), put it into a string or some file-like object, and then
parse it.  A bit clumsy, but if XML documents are commonly in files,
or in one-shot pipes that get closed immediately afterwards, it's not
something that will occur often.  It certainly wouldn't be very
difficult to write xml.marshal to use a marshalling object that
provides .open() and .close() calls.

What does everyone think?  Is the case of multiple XML documents in
the same input stream not worth worrying about?

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.