[XML-SIG] Re: Look what these folks are doing with XML

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

Sean Mc grath writes:
 > How about an "__xml__" method?...

  I presume you mean an __xml__() method that create's the
corresponding XML for the object, and returns it as a string?
  Frankly, I think that's the wrong approach.  The Pickler/Unpickler
classes should be able to do all the XML generation/processing, and
use the existing pickling protocol.  I think this would be very
reasonable, and actually not too hard to do.  Perhaps the entire
pickling/unpickling process could be separated into a frontend/backend
structure, so that the intermediate structure could be spat out in
XML, the current pickle format, proprietary formats, etc.  Of course,
the performance problem requires separate, dedicated implementations.
;-(

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.