[Python Wpg] Meeting tonight

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Wed Sep 26 12:39:45 EDT 2007

Sydney Weidman wrote:

> Wait a sec -- I've seen your picture at the post office! You're that
> Ubuntu rebel, aren't you? Boy, is Microsoft ever ticked off at you! :-)

:)

> ...  We've been told that the bag checks
> are a temporary measure and will not continue for very much longer,
> perhaps only for today and tomorrow. Sadly, the checks are being
> conducted on the night that we agreed to meet.

And that's what's so stupid.  It's accomplishing nothing, while
simply establishing a precedent that unconstitutional search at a
public institution is an OK response to this sort of situation.

> I didn't mean to imply that I approved of or agreed with the measures
> taken, only to inform people of a situation which is, at this point
> unfortunately, well beyond my control.

Oh, absolutely.  I recognize that it's not YOU doing this, and certainly
I don't bear any animosity towards even the security staff who are
"just doing their jobs".  But unless people take SOME kind of stand
(not sure that refusing to show up for a meeting's taking much
of a stand), we'll eventually end up like some other surveillance states
that have either existed in the past, or, exist at this moment.

I'll make the following suggestion, and/or promise.  As I am a person
who does enjoy a carbonated alcoholic beverage consisting of malted barley,
hops, water, and yeast, and have been known to enjoy pizza-pies as well,
might I suggest that this meeting be moved to the more convivial
Paradise?  Or if not, I'll promise I'll be at the Paradise from 7:30, and
people who either finish the meeting early, or, perhaps have a mild sense
of indignation at the door will find me there?

Heck, I might even buy a round!

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."