[Python Wpg] Last nights meeting

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Thu Mar 23 20:03:18 EST 2006

On March 23, 2006 06:03 pm, Jason Hildebrand wrote this amazing epistle:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 17:01 -0600, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> >  The first was publicity in the Newsgroups. I was thinking it might be a
> > good idea to have an auto-post of upcoming meetings roughly a week or so
> > before the meeting. I suggest wpg.general, man.general, winnipeg.general,
> > and the various local help groups. I don't have enough knowlege to create
> > an autoposter myself. Perhaps it might be an interesting presentation if
> > someone could write one in Python.
>
> FWIW, it doesn't look too difficult to post news from python; there's an
> example at: http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-nntplib.html

 Cool. This opens up some possibilities for other programs I was thinking of.

> Though this would be cool, I actually wonder whether having it "auto"
> posted saves much effort as compared to someone manually cross-posting a
> message to all those groups, including the topic to be
> discussed/presented and the meeting location. <shrug>

 It would certainly simplify things. All the maintainer would have to worry
about would be setting up a cron job (again this is something I haven't done
in years). The maintainer would just keep up a text file with relevant info.
This way the maintainer wouldn't forget and could repost the message if they
forgot to update the text file.

 It further occurs to me there is another UG in town (MWCS) which could
benefit from this.

> peace,
> Jason

    Later