[Python Wpg] location, format, group title

Mark Jenkins umjenki5 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 8 17:48:33 EST 2005

> I'd like to have a first informal meeting on December 13th during the
> day, perhaps 12:00 noon or 1:00 p.m., perhaps downtown.

Good time for me, no exams that day. I like downtownish. Upper level of
Bullman centre at U of W perhaps? But, I would not suggest that
particular location for the real meetings. Characteristics of an ideal
location:
* Central, preferably downtown over other central locations because it
simplifies bus ussage
* Projector access
* Desktop computers available so people without laptops can hack and mingle

Internet access is a bonus, but I wouldn't sacrifice any of the above
for it. I have a full copy of the documentation on my laptop hard drive.

Any thoughts on a group title? I think Winnipeg Python Users Group would
be somewhat boring. PyPeg is cooler. Or, if you like both, append the
former to the later as a subtitle: "PyPeg: The Winnipeg Python Users Group".

My thoughts on a potential format:
1. Language feature of the month. A short presentation on an aspect of
the language that can be found in the tutorial.
(http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html)

2. Included battery of the month. A short presentation on something
described in the library reference. (http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html)

3. Short break for mingling and hacking

4. A longer feature presentation or discussion. Examples: Presentation
on a 3rd party library or a Python application, discussion of pythonic
vs. unpythonic programming style, tricks, techniques, solutions to
classic programming problems in Python, debate on proposed language
changes, more in depth looks at the something that falls under the
domain of (1) or (2).

5. More mingling and hacking until everyone goes home.

Mark