[Web-SIG] Combine wsgi and asyncio - possible?

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue Sep 30 17:28:37 CEST 2014

From: "Robert Collins" <robertc at robertcollins.net>
To: "Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com>
Cc: "Web SIG" <web-sig at python.org>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Web-SIG] Combine wsgi and asyncio - possible?

Thanks very much, Rob - lots of useful info and valuable food for thought
there.

> On 30 September 2014 02:26, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am developing a business/accounting application. It is not a web server
>> in
>> the conventional sense, but it uses http, and clients connect to it via a
>> web browser.  The server responds to an initial connection by sending a
>> block of javascript which uses on_load() to display a welcome page. After
>> that, all communication is handled by ajax-style messages passed between
>> server and client. At no point is a new page requested or reloaded.
>
> Pages are browser constructs :) - I presume you're still speaking
> HTTP/1.1, with each request and response JSON - so a typical HTTP API
> implementation?

Yes

> One orthogonal thought here - HTTP/2 and websockets are [differently
> but relatedly] aimed at solving this in perhaps a cleaner way.

I knew about web sockets, but not HTTP/2, so thanks for the pointer. I had a
look on Wikipedia and it seems to be the future, so I feel that I should not
try too hard for a perfect solution now, but just get something working and
keep an eye on developments.

Having done a lot more browsing/reading, I am leaning towards figuring out
how to use flup/FastCGI. If I can get that working fairly quickly, it will
allow sysadmins to deploy my app using standard tools, and I can get back to
my main priority - the actual accountiing software.

Let me know if you think that is a bad idea!

Frank