[Web-SIG] WSGI and asyncio (tulip)?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Oct 14 21:40:05 CEST 2014

On 15 October 2014 07:30, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:47:35 -0700
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if a small extension to the WSGI protocol might be sufficient
>> to support this: the special environ variable "wsgi.async_input" could
>> optionally be tied to a standard asyncio stream reader (
>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-stream.html#streamreader), from
>> which bytes can be read using "yield from stream.read([nbytes])" or "yield
>> from stream.readline()".
>
> I think it would be frankly better to hook at the transport/protocol
> level, and let people wrap that inside an asyncio stream if that's their
> preference.

For things like mod_wsgi and uwsgi, we're not actually implementing
the transport or protocol inside of Python at all - its all happening
in C and often in an entirely separate process.

I think it's entirely reasonable to want to write
middleware/frameworks in that context using asyncio, and today there
isn't a defined protocol for doing that.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist