[Web-SIG] Draft 2: WSGI Response Upgrade Bridging

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Oct 10 20:38:26 CEST 2014

On 11 October 2014 01:56, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert. What I would suggest you do is reboot this whole effort.

> make it more obvious how anyone can add their work into it in separate areas
> of it as need be and not just as issues, if that isn't already clear enough.
> Document exactly what you want people to do as far as adding anything there.
> Find people who will work with you on making all this clearer and defining
> any process.
>
> The next step is to make a more definite statement about the timeline for
> this whole discussion.

Thanks for the process critique - I agree. I will put together such
improvements in a little bit.

I hadn't actually intended to go quiet - my intended next step was to
collate the feedback we've had so far (and prompt you for some
mod_wsgi orientated feedback).

However, about 2 weeks back my Mum died, and that caused a rather big
speed bump in the 'what I need to do' chore list, which still isn't
over (but at least the crisis wise aspects are)

> They may want to comment on what should even be addressed in any revisions
> or extensions to the WSGI specification. In other words, don't limit this to
> just HTTP/2 and web sockets support. Allow people to raise their pet peeves
> about the existing WSGI specification so we can perhaps properly address
> them this time. The whole ASYNC issue with existing WSGI applications also
> should not be ruled out of scope as far as the comment period.
>
> Finally and hopefully, rather than people just complaining about things or
> giving wish lists, they will present properly fleshed out ideas for how to
> concretely solve ideas around ASYNC, HTTP/2 and web sockets.

TBH I'd be fine with complaints and wish lists - got to start
somewhere, and having a clear list of the places WSGI has not met
needs would be excellent.

One thing you could do, if you like, is to put a PR together for the
wsgi-ng repo that adjusts README in the light of your feedback.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist