[Web-SIG] websocket support in WSGI

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu May 24 02:05:59 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Roberto De Ioris <roberto at unbit.it> wrote:

> Can't we simply define something like environ['wsgi.raw_socket'] (or
> whatever name you want) mapping to the client (or webserver in case of
> proxied) socket ?

Probably not.  What happens if middleware has already sent stuff to that
socket, indirectly?  I suppose you could add some sort of status indicators
to it.  What happens if the app writes to it, then returns to some
middleware that expects to then start its own response?  What happens with
program flow control in general?

I don't know if sane Websocket support is even *possible* in WSGI, but if
it is, then there's a heck of a lot more to be specified there than just an
environ key.