[Web-SIG] A more useful command-line wsgiref.simple_server?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Mar 31 05:27:30 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Sasha Hart <s at sashahart.net> wrote:

> I do really like the idea of having a quick WSGI runner in the stdlib,

What's kind of funny is that this was actually one of the original use
cases that resulted in the invention of WSGI; back in the early 2000's,
PEAK had its own internal protocol called "runCGI", and part of the idea
was that we had a command line tool that could run things implementing that
interface from the command line, with servers for fastcgi, cgi,
SimpleHTTPServer, and so on.

Ah well, that's a bit off-topic.  But mainly, it's the reason I never got
thought of actually making wsgi_ref.simple_server actually do that stuff; I
already had a runner in PEAK that would do that kind of thing and launch a
browser too.  Despite inspiring simple_server, it completely slipped my
mind that it'd be a good idea to put that stuff in wsgiref, too!

Regarding modules vs. files, I don't really care that much which way the
capability is spelled, as long as the file vs. module distinction is
explicit.  "-m " isn't a lot to add to a command line, and neither is "-f
".  If there's no consensus, just require that one or the other be
specified, and inconvenience both groups of people equally.  ;-)