[Web-SIG] Large, fixed latency on every wsgiref response

Matt Chaput matt at whoosh.ca
Thu Jun 7 23:09:01 CEST 2012

I'm using Paste script to configure a wsgiref server on Windows. And I'm
seeing some weird stuff.

On Safari, every request gets almost exactly 1 second of latency tacked
on (the amount listed in the network diagnostics pane varies per
request: 1.03s, 1.09s, 1.08s, 1.12s...). Every request. Even when the
actual response takes practically no time (e.g. a 304), the connection
latency is huge.

On Chrome, the latency is smaller (around 300ms) and not on every
request. Hovering over a request with the latency in Chrome's network
pane shows the following information:

   DNS Lookup: 1ms
   Connecting: 302ms
   Sending   : 0
   Waiting   : 15ms
   Receiving : 27ms

Firefox also shows a large (1s) "connecting" time for some requests and
no delay on other requests in the Firebug net pane.

The only reason page load is barely tolerable is because at least with
threading some of the delays are in parallel, but it's still slow.

I have no idea what's going on here. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt