[Web-SIG] Starting Web Servers using socket FDs

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Tue Jun 5 12:31:08 CEST 2012

On 6/5/12 11:41 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Tarek Ziadé<tarek at ziade.org>  wrote:
>> Thoughts ?
> I've skimmed over the text and couldn't find any user story. What is
> the end goal?
use a web server as a standalone, isolated process, with nothing but a
single main thread that gets request then send back response.

then have Circus do all the processes management.

> What is the responsibility of web server, web app and your controlling app?

- The web server accept() connections on a socket and transforms a
request into a wsgi environ it passes to a wsgi application  [Meinheld,
Bjoern, Whatever..]
- The web app is a classical wsgi application that handles
start_response and return a list of strings   [the application that
follows the wsgi standard]
- The controlling app manages the life of the sockets and also manage
the life of web app processes   [Circus]

> Who should control keep-alives and connection drops?

I don't know I did not get into those details yet.

Cheers
Tarek