[Web-SIG] PEP 444 Goals

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Sat Jan 8 07:13:07 CET 2011

On 2011-01-07 20:34:09 -0800, P.J. Eby said:
> That it [handling generators] is difficult at all means removes
> degree-of-difficulty as a strong motivation to switch.

Agreed.  I will be following up with a more concrete idea (including
p-code) to better describe what is currently in my brain.  (One half of
which will be just as objectionable, the other half, with Alex
Grönholm's input, far more reasonable.)

> IOW, there are six specific facts someone needs to remember in orderto
> know the type of a given CGI variable, over and above the merefact that
> it's a CGI variable.  Hence, "reference".

No, practically there is one.  If you are implementing a Python 3
solution, a single value (original URI) is an instance of bytes, the
rest are str.  If you are implementing a Python 2 solution, there's a
single rule you need to remember: values derived from the URI
(QUERY_STRING, PATH_INFO, etc.) are unicode, the rest are str.

Poloygot implementors are already accepting that they will need to
include more in their headspace before writing a single line of code;
knowing that "native string" differs between the two langauges is a
fundamental concept nessicary for the act of writing polygot code.

	- Alice.